KVM is included in the mainline linux kernel since 2.6.20 and is stable and fast for most workloads.
It is also available as a patch for recent Linux kernel versions and as an external module that can be used with your favorite distro- provided kernel going back up to 2.6.16, therefore including all latest versions for Enterprise Linux Distributions.
- Intel-based hosts (requires VT capable processors)
- AMD-based hosts (requires SVM capable processors)
- Windows/Linux/Unix guests (32-bit and 64-bit)
- SMP hosts
- SMP guests (as of kvm-61, max 16 cpu supported)
- Live Migration of guests from one host to another (32-bit and 64-bit)
- See the Guest Support Status page for a list of guest operating systems known to work
- See the Host Support Status page for information on host hardware.
- Guest swapping