Revision as of 16:12, 8 March 2009
The vmware system consists of two disks in raw format: the old boot disk and the second one. It is Windows 2000 Server guest OS.
- Create empty new boot image (use dd).
- Boot stand alone OS from any other disk with old boot disk and new boot image connected (that is at least 3 disks).
- Sign up, make partition and format the new disk (do not make volume).
- xcopy /e /c /r /h /k /o /x /y old_boot_disk:\ new_boot_disk:\
- Copy boot.ini from new boot disk to the second one (that is not boot disk).
- Edit boot.ini on the second disk to boot from rdisk(1)
- Swap disks: new <-> second.
- Boot setup from CD and go on Repair Procedure (after licence agreement) for the new boot disk.
- fdisk new boot image and toggle Boot flag.
- Swap disks back: second <-> new.
- Boot from the new disk.
- Remove vmware tools and devices.
- Reboot and be happy.
P. S. To swap disks and edit boot.ini (items 5,6,7,10) should be excluded if the boot disk is named C:, that is right in most cases. Those items are for strange case, when boot disk is D: and second one is C:.